Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Crafter Spotlight: Mamie and Valletta


What will you be selling at Unglued?
Beautiful leather clutches and handbags created from re-purposed leathers. Silk flowers, feathers, and tassels give each bag a touch of whimsy.

What are your greatest inspirations?
My inspiration really comes from a lot of different things, but I can probably blame my Mom for my love of accessories! I have a pretty ecclectic sense of design and I love making something new while giving a nod to the past.

When and where did you learn your craft?
I grew up surrounded by some pretty crafty ladies, so creativity has always been a part of my life! I have a degree in Interior Design and spent a semester with the theater working on stage & costume design. That really taught me to think from the inside out on how things go together. I have been designing leather bags since 2008.

What makes your product stand out?
Each handbag is a truly a one-of-a-kind design. They are created from re-purposed leather, so the cut and color is always a bit different. A lot of love and thought goes into each bag, from conception to completion, to make it unique.

Any other interesting tidbits you’d like to mention?
My obsession with re-purposed items does not stop at leather purses! My house is filled with re-created items like a an old window used as our family message board, a fireplace mantle that has been turned into my favorite head board, and we enjoy summer meals on our patio with a farmhouse table made from a door...and I loved creating it all!

Be sure to check out Mamie & Valletta's awesome booth at the Craft Fest Feb 25!